|home | latest recipes | search for recipes | tips & ideas | glossary | links | contact
quick lentil & vegetable stew
200g red lentils (or more if making bigger pot)
selection of chopped root vegetables eg. Sweet potatoes, parsnips, turnips, swede, carrots, potatoes, squash
1-2 onions or leeks
A couple of handfuls of curly kale or cabbage leaves
1 tbsp tahini
tin coconut milk (optional)
1-2 tsp kelp powder (optional)
2 tsp turmeric (optional)
black pepper and tamari or liquid amino acids to taste
handful of chopped watercress/herbs to garnish
1. Put the lentils on to boil in a big pan.
2. Chop the vegetables into cubes. You can either put the vegetables that take longest to cook in first, or chop them up smaller and add everything at the same time.
3. Chop and add the onions/leeks.
4. When you’ve done that, rinse and chop the kale/cabbage leaves, and then add those.
5. Keep an eye on the water levels, and add more as appropriate and/or add coconut milk
6. Stir in the tahini
7. Stir in the kelp powder, turmeric, black pepper and tamari or amino acids
8. Serve and add garnish
Leftovers can be thinned with water and blended to make soup.
Kirsten Chick (formerly Santry)