black bean stew
200g black beans - soaked overnight
2 strips kombu seaweed
handful arame seaweed
6 new potatoes or 2 sweet potatoes
2 - 3 handfuls watercress
2 tbsp coconut block or ½-1 tin coconut milk
2 tsp kelp powder (optional)
black pepper and tamari or liquid amino acids to taste
1. Drain and rinse beans, cover with water, bring to boil and simmer.
2. Soak kombu and arame (in separate bowls)
3. After ½ hour add kombu
4. Chop potatoes, carrots and onions
5. When beans have been simmering for 45 mins-1 hour, add onions, potatoes
6. 10-15 mins later add carrots.
7. Keep an eye on water levels and add more if necessary
8. When almost ready, add coconut, kelp, pepper and tamari.
9. Serve in bowls covered with chopped watercress.
Kirsten Chick (formerly Santry)